Deliciously Festive Zimtsterntorte Recipe
November 20, 2015
For the base:
- 2x 100g packs of Zimtsterne
- 50g dark chocolate, 50% cocoa
- 40g butter
For the topping:
- 5 sheets of white gelatine
- 300g full fat cream cheese
- 300g vanilla yogurt
- 2 tablespoons runny honey
- 25g grated dark chocolate, 50% cocoa
- 125g whipping cream
- about 20g of dark chocolate
- about 1 tablespoon grated dark chocolate
1. For the base, set 8 Zimtsterne biscuits aside, and blitz the remaining stars in a blender until they are crumbs.
2. Melt the butter in a small saucepan and break chocolate into pieces and add the butter while stir-ring. Put the Zimtsterne crumbs into a mixing bowl, add the butter and the chocolate then mix until the crumbs are well coated. Line a spring form round tin (24cm diameter) with baking paper. Tip the Zimtsterne-butter mix into the tin and use a spoon to press down evenly and firmly.
3. Pop the base in the refrigerator for around 30 minutes,
4. For the topping, soak the gelatine in cold water according to package instructions. Beat the cream cheese with yogurt and honey in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer . Get the soaked gelatine, and dissolve in a small saucepan over low heat while stirring. Add 3 tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture at first, then stir in the remaining cream cheese mixture. Whisk cream until stiff and fold with the grated chocolate . Gently spread the mixture over the chilled base. Place the cake in the refrigerator for about 2 hours.
5. Loosen the spring form tin, gently remove the cake and peel away the baking paper. For the garnish, melt the chocolate in a bain-marie. Spread with a teaspoon 8 small chocolate blobs on the cake surface and immediately place the Zimtsterne about ½ cm deep in the chocolate. Sprinkle the grated chocolate over the top, and serve!